Monday 27 August 2012

Your twisting my melons (LEMONS) man

Happy Monday Everyone!
During my week off I did lots of making and baking, probably best that I'm back to work tomorrow, the problem with baking is the eating it all afterwards! I caught the last 5 minutes of a cookery programme the other day, they were making a lemon drizzle cake and I've been wanting to make one for ages. They called it 'Men only lemon drizzle cake' because it own first prize in the men only category at a fair. The recipe is easy to follow but it requires 3 eggs, I had to wait 3 days before I could make it, one chicken is laying, one is laying but the the eggs keep breaking and the other one isn't laying at all. Eggs check, ready to bake.
To make the cake you'll need...
 175g softened unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
175g White self raise flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
3 eggs
2unwaxed lemons
100g of granulated sugar
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, grease and flour a loaf tin
2.Mix together the butter, flour, caster sugar and baking powder
3.Add the 3 eggs
4. Zest the lemons and add to the batter (Keep the lemons!)
5. Put the mix in the tin and into the oven for 40-45 minutes
6. Mix the granulated sugar with the juice of the 2 lemons
7. Poke holes in the cake and pour over the sugar/lemon mix
8. put the cake on a plate and serve with a drop of tay : )
The cake tasted very good but I fear I may have poisoned myself a little with it, I'm allergic to eggs and I think the egg content is a bit too high. I've had unexplained tiredness and stomach cramps since eating it so best that I don't make it again. Damn you egg allergy!! It really was delicious, lemony and sugary YUM!!

Have a great week everyone!! xx

2 comments:

  1. I love lemon drizzle cake, but i've never tried to make it.

    How awful for you being a keeper of hens and allergic to eggs.

    The eggs that keep breaking may be down to lack of grit. Do you give your hens a bit of shell or grit? Or is the non laying hen looking a bit scruffy. Could be a moult on the way.

    We have re-stocked our flock over the weekend. Must do a bit of a post if its dry enough tomorrow to take photos. Damn hard to get good chicken photos. I'm so looking forward to eggs again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, hope you feel loads better today! that ingredient photograph is so pretty. The older I get the less I like sweet things but if I made that cake Jon would demolish it in seconds! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your comments : )